As General Counsel to The Fund, Melissa Murphy helps real estate attorney members in Florida excel at their jobs. In the beginning of 2020, the state of Florida implemented its Remote Online Notarization law, so Title Talks host Amanda Farrell reached out to Melissa to discuss how professionals can best adopt the new technology into their operations. She shares some of the features that real estate attorneys and title agents should be looking for in a RON platform and her hopes for improvements from technology providers.
Key topics in this episode:
- Melissa shares her personal experience with RON (1:30).
- RON education and getting certified in Florida (3:30).
- The impact of COVID-19 on interests in RON (8:10).
- The biggest benefits and challenges of RON in the real estate industry (12:50).
- The legal certainty of electronic signatures and RON in Florida (20:05).
- What title agents and attorneys should look for in a RON platform (26:55).
Resources mentioned in this episode and suggested reading:
- It’s All About Remote: RON Resources, Supreme Court Administrative Order, and Extra Caution
- WEBINAR: Tackling the Learning Curve of Remote Closings
- American Land Title Association’s Digital Closings
- Get started with hybrid and RON closings with ProperSign
Get involved with the conversation!
Follow us on Twitter @titletalks, and sign up to receive notification when the next season launches! If you have an idea for a topic or know a guest speaker who would be perfect for the show, email us at email@example.com.